Participate and Perform
Take part in Manchester Day 2018: Sunday 17 June
Deadline for applications: 5 February 2018
We are looking for community groups, volunteers and organisations throughout the city to apply to be part of Manchester Day 2018 and work with us with energy, enthusiasm and commitment to create an amazing day.
With your help on Sunday 17 June, we will create a wonderful parade celebrating the city of Manchester and what it means to be Mancunian. Together we will transform some of Manchester’s city squares with amazing décor, mouthwatering food and vibrant performance.
Manchester Day 2018: The Word on the Street…
What’s the word on the street for Manchester in 2018? Let’s come together to celebrate all that’s great about Manchester, and listen to what people across the city are saying.
Manchester Day 2018 is a chance to remind ourselves about the past, present and future of the city…what was the word on the street a hundred years ago when the Suffragettes were fighting to get votes for women? Whilst we’re about it, what’s the word on the most famous street in the world – Coronation Street!?
So let’s come together once more for the ninth Manchester Day, and shout about what we love most about our city…let’s hear the word on the street.
How to get involved…
• Groups can work together before the day itself and develop creative ideas inspired by the theme to decorate, animate and perform in the Manchester Day squares or design a float or image, make costumes, or play music as part of the parade.
• Walk the Plank will give you professional support from an artist/a co-ordinator to develop your creative idea.
• Some groups may play music, or already have costumes or a float that fit with the theme.
If you’re not part of a group
• The WOW Crowd! gives individuals a chance to take part. Being part of the WOW Crowd will give you a great opportunity to meet people, work with artists, musicians and performers.
• You can volunteer to help in the lead up to Manchester Day and/or on the day itself
Manchester Day is a GREEN event…. The use of vehicles or diesel-powered generators is discouraged. Within the parade itself we actively embrace structures which can be walked, pushed, pulled or wheeled.
About the application to participate process
We want to encourage as many people as possible to take part in Manchester Day. However entry is subject to a selection process and cannot be guaranteed.
If the event is oversubscribed as in all previous years, priority will be given to:
a) Groups who can demonstrate both a commitment in time (e.g. 1 workshop of 2-3 hours per week for 4 weeks) and the ability to follow through the whole process.
b) Groups who are able to bring some funding or resources to Manchester Day.
How to apply